There are many strict requirements to be certified halal, included are the following requirements:
- The Premises, equipment and machinery must be classed before and production takes place.
- A trained butcher should slaughter the animal in a licensed slaughter house with the implementation of all the hygiene and animal welfare regulations.
- The slaughter man must be licensed by the meat hygiene service.
- The animal/bird must be licensed by the meat hygiene service.
- The animal/bird must be alive, healthy and free from any disease or injury at the time of slaughter. This should be certified and checked by a veterinary surgeon.
- The animals skin or fur and bird feathers must be clean prior to slaughter and free from feces, dirt or other unhygienic substances.
- The animal/bird should be fed and should not be hungry or thirsty before slaughter.
- The animal should not be slaughtered in front of other animals and no blood seen so that no stress or discomfort has been caused to the animal.
- The animal should be handled gently and individually.
- The knife should be very sharp and clean and should not be sharpened in front of any animal before slaughter.
- The cut must be done in the right anatomical position.
- All blood should be allowed to be drained.
- A specific time should be allowed till the animal ceases any movement.
- De-feathering, de-skinning and evisceration can be done afterwards.